Today I want to share some words that do not belong to me. Sometimes you hear something so inspiring, so uplifting, it has to be shared.
I know we are in a world where if you’re not present to witness a moment happening, you’re late. Well, this speech was made in 2014 so by that standard I am decades behind, ha.
But anyways, I was watching random YouTube videos and came across Jim Carrey giving a speech to graduating students, and a lot of what he said changed my mentality for the better – at least until I went to sleep that night. I keep reminding myself of select quotes that affected me the most, so why not just put them here?
Here we are.
1. “Fear is going to be a player in your life, but you get to decide how much. You can spend your whole life imagining ghosts, worrying about your pathway to the future, but all there will ever be is what’s happening here and the decisions we make in this moment, which are based in either love or fear. So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality. What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it.”
2. “My father could have been a great comedian, but he didn’t believe that was possible for him, and so he made a conservative choice. Instead, he got a safe job as an accountant, and when I was 12 years old, he was let go from that safe job and our family had to do whatever we could to survive. I learned many great lessons from my father, not the least of which was that you can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.”
3. “The imagination is always manufacturing scenarios — both good and bad — and the ego tries to keep you trapped in the multiplex of the mind. Our eyes are not only viewers, but also projectors that are running a second story over the picture we see in front of us all the time. Fear is writing that script and the working title is, ‘I’ll never be enough.’”
4. “If you listen to [your ego], there will always be someone who seems to be doing better than you. No matter what you gain, ego will not let you rest. It will tell you that you cannot stop until you’ve left an indelible mark on the earth, until you’ve achieved immortality. How tricky is the ego that it would tempt us with the promise of something we already possess?”
5. “Take a chance on faith — not religion, but faith. Not hope, but faith. I don’t believe in hope. Hope is a beggar. Hope walks through the fire. Faith leaps over it.”
Watch the speech in its entirety HERE.